Industry News

Washington nets nearly 110,000 new residents in past year

Published on:

Washington’s population grew 1.5% over the past year to top 7.6 million.

A new report from the Office of Financial Management (OFM) shows net migration accounted for 76% of the 109,800 new residents. OFM reported net births made up the remaining 24% of the growth.

Since April 2, 2010, the state’s population has grown by 931,700 people, with more than a third of the new residents (329,600) choosing to live in King County.

During the same 2010-to-2020 timeframe, 332,459 new housing units were added. Of that total, 122,049 (36.7%) were in King County.

Viewed another way, one new housing unit was added for every 2.8 new residents statewide; in King County, one new home was added for every 2.7 new residents.

Of the state’s current estimate of total housing units (3,218,136), about two-thirds (66%) are in incorporated areas.

Population growth has remained concentrated in five of the state’s largest metropolitan counties: Clark, King, Pierce, Snohomish and Spokane, according to OFM.

Four of the top 10 cities for population growth are in King County: Bellevue, Kirkland, Redmond, and Seattle. Rounding out the list are Lacey, Pasco, Richland, Spokane, Tacoma, and Vancouver.

Back to top